This summer, it’s time to finally tackle that one outdoor project you’ve been putting off. Consider one of the following stormwater projects you can do at home, courtesy of the Madison Area Municipal Stormwater Partnership.
- Redirect downspouts from pavement to natural areas (like grasses and gardens) where water can seep into the ground.
- Replace some turf grass or pavement with a native plant garden to promote infiltration.
- Install a rain garden or rain barrels to collect water that runs off your roof.
- Keep driveways and sidewalks clear of lawn clippings and leaves.
- Reduce or eliminate fertilizer and pesticide use. Consider getting soil tested first to determine soil needs.
- Pick up after pets. Bury pet waste in the yard or bag and dispose of in garbage.
- Prevent erosion by covering bare soil with seed and mulch as soon as possible.
- Dispose of hazardous waste properly – please see Dane County Clean Sweep to check disposal site hours and fees.
Thank you to the Madison Area Municipal Stormwater Partnership for this article. For more information on what you can do to help protect our waters, visit www.ripple-effects.com.