Big Swell Swim – Devil’s Lake
Big Swell Swim
Saturday, June 11th, 2022
Devil’s Lake State Park – South Shore, White Birch Shelter
5975 S. Park Rd
Race for our lakes
Big Swell Swim Madison and Big Swell Swim Devil’s Lake are combining into one fun event for clean lakes in 2022. Jump into Devil’s Lake for this year’s Big Swell Swim! This is a great training opportunity for competitive and recreational swimmers alike.
Schedule of events
- 6:30 – 7:40 a.m. : Packet and timing chip pickup (White Birch Shelter, South Shore of Devil’s Lake)
- 7:30 – 7:40 a.m. : Warm up in swim area
- 7:45 a.m. : Kids’ swim race (pending water temperature over 65 degrees)
- 7:55 a.m. : Race briefing on shore, national anthem, and racer staging
- 8 a.m. : Elite wave mass start
- 8:02 a.m. : Begin rolling wave starts (check your email/registration for corral)
- 8:16 a.m. : Final wave starts
- 8:30 a.m. : Estimated first finisher
- 10:30 a.m. : Course closes
Swim for clean lakes
When it comes to Madison’s lakes, it’s not only the fish that count on clean water for swimming. Hundreds of swimmers plunge into our lakes each year, especially as part of our vibrant triathlon scene.
Whether you are a competitive swimmer looking for a great training opportunity, or a recreational swimmer who cares about clean water, Big Swell Swim is the perfect opportunity to make a difference and help protect our lakes.
Big Swell Swim Series
A portion of your registration will go directly to Clean Lakes Alliance. Your registration supports important lake improvement projects, educational programming, and water quality monitoring.
Big Swell distances
Choose from a 1.2 or 2.4-mile race. Kids can compete in the 500 meter course.
Finishing Big Swell Madison
All swimmers will receive an event shirt or towel, chip timing, and swim cap.
Proceed through Devil’s Lake State Park South Shore entrance. The closest lot to the start/finish will be straight ahead after entry. There are plenty of parking lots, none more than .25 mile walk to the start. Make sure to display a state park sticker or parking pass.
The race will happen rain or shine. If there is inclement or dangerous weather, Big Swell Swim will implement a delayed schedule.
Please listen to course instruction before the race and listen to lifeguards and volunteers during the event. If you need assistance raise your hand and the nearest water patrol will come to assist you. You can rest on a kayak, paddleboard, or noodle and continue in the race as long as you are not making forward progress with the flotation device. EMS will be on-site.
All swimming is AT YOUR OWN RISK. We highly suggest these safety precautions as you are swimming in open water:
1. Do not go alone
2. Swim with a buoy
3. Wear a bright colored swim cap
4. Recruit someone to kayak or SUP with you
5. Do not swim if you are ill or suffering any respiratory discomfort
See the Clean Lakes Alliance event calendar.